For Mexican Citizens:
You are required to apply for a TN visa at a US Consulate/Embassy, though you do not have to file a petition with the USCIS. You must obtain the visa before traveling to the US.
Required Documentation for Visa Interview
- Online Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application, Form DS-160
- A passport valid for travel to the US and with a validity date at least six months beyond the applicant's intended period of stay in the US
One (1) 2x2 photograph (
A photograph is not required if you are applying in Mexico.)
- Letter of Employment which includes the following information:
- The letter must indicate that the position in question in the US requires the employment of a person in a professional capacity, consistent with the NAFTA Chapter 16, Annex 1603, Appendix 1603.d.1.
- The applicant must present evidence of professional employment to satisfy the Consular Officer of the applicant's plans to be employed in prearranged business activities for a US employer(s) or entity(ies) at a professional level. Part-time employment is permitted, but self-employment is not permitted. An employment letter or contract providing a detailed description of the business activities may be provided from the US or foreign employer and should state the following:
- Activity in which the applicant shall be engaged and purpose of entry;
- Anticipated length of stay;
- Educational qualifications or appropriate credentials demonstrating professional status;
- Evidence of compliance with DHS regulations, and/or state laws; and
- Arrangements for pay
Further details can be found at the
US Department of State website.