You may apply for a visitor visa at any US consulate or embassy, though it is recommended that you apply at the one with jurisdiction over your place of permanent residence because it may be harder to qualify for the visa outside of your country of permanent residence. The consular officer at the embassy or consulate will determine whether you qualify for the visa.

While there are no petitions to file with the USCIS to enter the US as a visitor, the burden of proof falls on you to show to your consular officer that your visit to the US is temporary in nature.

The presumption in the law is that every visitor visa applicant is intending to immigrate. Therefore, applicants for visitor visas must overcome this assumption by demonstrating that:

  • The purpose of their trip is to enter the US for business, pleasure, or medical treatment;
  • They plan to remain for a specific, limited period of time;
  • They have funds to cover expenses in the United States;
  • They have compelling social and economic ties abroad; and
  • They have a residence outside the US as well as other binding ties that will insure their return abroad at the end of the visit.

In addition to all of the documentation requirements explained above, the following documentation is also required for persons seeking medical treatment in the US:

  • Medical diagnosis from a local physician, explaining the nature of the ailment and the reason the applicant requires treatment in the United States.
  • Letter from a physician or medical facility in the United States expressing a willingness to treat the specific ailment and detailing the projected length and cost of treatment (including doctors' fees, hospitalization fees, and all medical-related expenses).
  • Statement of financial responsibility from the individuals or an organization that will pay for the patient's transportation, medical, and living expenses. The individuals guaranteeing payment of these expenses must provide proof of ability to do so, often in the form of bank or other statements of income/savings or certified copies of income tax returns.

Persons traveling to the US for medical treatment should have a statement from a doctor or institution concerning proposed medical treatment.

Contact Us Today

We serve clients throughout the United States including New York and New Jersey and in the following localities: New York City; Albany County including Albany; Dutchess County including Poughkeepsie; Erie County including Buffalo; Monroe County including Rochester; Nassau County including Mineola; Onondaga County including Syracuse; Orange County including Goshen; Putnam County including Carmel; Rockland County including New City; Suffolk County including Riverhead; Ulster County including Kingston; Westchester County including White Plains; Bergen County including Hackensack; Essex County including Newark; Hudson County including Jersey City; Middlesex County including New Brunswick; and Union County including Elizabeth. Attorney Advertising.