A petition for an extension of H-1B status for an individual's current foreign employees is known as an H-1B Extension. In this approach, the foreign worker can continue to work while the H-1B extension is being processed without having to leave the country to apply for a new H-1B status.

Do I need to apply if my H-1B status is expiring?

To stay and work in the U.S., you must file an H-1B Extension to extend your stay.

When should I file for my H-1B Extension?

You must file for your H-1B Extension before your expiration date.

What if I submit my H-1B Extension after my current H-1B expiry?

If you fail to submit your H-1B Extension before your expiration date, your petition will likely be denied. You will need to leave the U.S. and obtain a new H-1B visa. Staying in the U.S. after your expiry will be considered out of status.

When is the earliest I can file my H-1B Extension?

You cannot submit your H-1B Extension more than six months in advance.

How long can my H-1B Extension be extended to?

You can request a three-year extension. Remember, the maximum duration on an H visa is six years.

How many times can I file for an H-1B Extension?

You can file for as many extensions as needed. However, the maximum period of stay on H-1B status is six years. After that, you must return to your country for one year before being eligible for another H-1B. If you have a pending permanent residence application for over a year, you can file for H-1B status for three years without leaving the country.

What about my H-4 dependents when I file for my H-1B Extension?

All dependents can stay in the U.S. on H-4 status as long as your H-1B status is valid.

I received my H-1B Extension approval, but I no longer wish to stay in the U.S. What can I do?

You are free to return to your country at any time.

When will I receive my approval notice?

An H-1B Extension typically takes around 3-4 months for adjudication. If you opted for premium processing, you will receive a decision within 15 days of filing.

What documents are required for an H-1B Extension?

To demonstrate eligibility, you must submit the following documents:

- Copies of passport biographic pages, visa stamp page, I-94, and travel stamps

- Current employer letter

- Pay stubs to confirm ongoing employment and status maintenance

- Educational degrees, certificates, evaluations, resume, experience letters, etc.

- Certified Labor Condition Application

- Copy of previously approved H-1B petition

- Other documents showing admissibility or maintenance of nonimmigrant status

What are the filing fees for an H-1B Extension?

The filing fees vary depending on the circumstances. If the H-1B employer is a nonprofit research organization or higher education institution, the fee is $320. For a profit employer filing a second or subsequent H-1B Extension with over 25 employees, the fee is $1,820. If the employer hasn't filed an H-1B extension before and has fewer than 25 employees, the fee is $320. For a second or subsequent extension with fewer than 25 employees, the fee is $1,070.

Contact Us Today

We serve clients throughout the United States including New York and New Jersey and in the following localities: New York City; Albany County including Albany; Dutchess County including Poughkeepsie; Erie County including Buffalo; Monroe County including Rochester; Nassau County including Mineola; Onondaga County including Syracuse; Orange County including Goshen; Putnam County including Carmel; Rockland County including New City; Suffolk County including Riverhead; Ulster County including Kingston; Westchester County including White Plains; Bergen County including Hackensack; Essex County including Newark; Hudson County including Jersey City; Middlesex County including New Brunswick; and Union County including Elizabeth. Attorney Advertising.