June 28, 2024 - Weekly Immigration News Update

Posted by Keshab R. Seadie | Jun 28, 2024 | 0 Comments

Dear Clients and Colleagues,

We hope this newsletter finds you well. In this edition, we bring you important updates on various immigration matters. Please take a moment to review the following key highlights:

USCIS Confirms FY 2025 H-1B CAP Filing Deadline is July 1, 2024
The USCIS has confirmed to the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) that the filing deadline for CAP-subject H-1B petitions will be July 1, 2024. This extension is due to June 30, 2024, falling on a Sunday. Therefore, H-1B petitions submitted on Monday, July 1, 2024, will be considered timely. However, this extension only applies to paper-based H-1B filings. H-1B petitions filed electronically must still be submitted by June 30, 2024. 

 DHS Proposed Rule Would Increase Cost of Some H-1B and L-1 Extensions 
On June 6, 2024, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) published a notice of proposed rulemaking in the Federal Register that could significantly increase the cost of H-1B and L-1 visa extensions. 
The proposed rule would require employers to pay the 9-11 response and biometric entry-exit fee, also known as the “public law 114-113 fee” or the “public law fee,” on nearly all H-1B and L-1 petitions, including extensions. 
Key points of the proposed rule
  • The public law fee applies only to employers with 50 or more employees in the U.S., of whom more than 50% are in H-1B or L-1 status.
  • Currently, affected employers must pay an additional $4,000 for each initial H-1B petition and $4,500 for each initial L-1 petition.
  • The proposed rule would extend this fee requirement to all extensions, not just initial petitions. 
The public can submit comments on this proposed rule to the DHS until July 8, 2024. 

 USCIS Extends TPS Employment Authorization Documents for El Salvador, Honduras, Nepal, Nicaragua, and Sudan 

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has extended the validity of certain Employment Authorization Documents (EADs) for Temporary Protected Status (TPS) beneficiaries from El Salvador, Honduras, Nepal, Nicaragua, and Sudan. The new expiration date is March 9, 2025, extended from June 30, 2024. 
USCIS will send a Form I-797, Notice of Action, to notify TPS beneficiaries of the extension. This includes beneficiaries eligible to re-register for TPS and those with a pending application to renew their TPS EAD. For Form I-9 employment verification, employees can show Form I-797 along with a TPS-based EAD showing an A12 or C19 code and an expiration date listed on the USCIS I-9 Central website. This combination is considered an unexpired EAD for Form I-9 purposes through March 9, 2025.  

Navigating AC 21 Section 106(c) Provision for Adjustment Portability

The American Competitiveness in the Twenty-First Century Act (AC 21) includes a crucial provision, Section 106(c), which offers significant benefits to foreign nationals seeking employment-based permanent residency (a green card). This provision, commonly referred to as “adjustment portability,” allows beneficiaries of certain employment-based immigrant visa petitions (I-140) to change employers while their adjustment of status (AOS) application (I-485) is pending. Here's a comprehensive guide on how to use AC 21 106(c) and key considerations to keep in mind.

Understanding AC 21 106(c)

AC 21 Section 106(c) enables foreign nationals to switch employers without restarting the green card process, provided the following conditions are met:

  1. I-140 Approval: The I-140 Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker must be approved, or should not have been withdrawn, denied, or revoked.
  2. I-485 Application Pending for 180 Days: The I-485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status must have been pending for at least 180 days.

Steps to Utilize Adjustment Portability

  1. Confirm Eligibility
    • Ensure that your I-140 petition is approved.
    • Verify that your I-485 application has been pending for at least 180 days.
  2. New Job Offer in Same or Similar Occupational Classification
    • The new job offer must be in the same or similar occupational classification as the original job for which the I-140 was filed.
    • Use the Standard Occupational Classification (SOC) codes to determine if the new job falls within the same category.
  3. Notify USCIS
    • Inform USCIS of the job change by submitting a Supplement J (Form I-485 Supplement J) to confirm the new job offer.
    • This form provides evidence that the new job offer is in the same or similar occupational classification.
  4. Prepare Documentation
    • Gather necessary documents, including the new employer's job offer letter, job description, and evidence of the new position's SOC code.

Key Considerations

  1. Timing 
    • Ensure that your I-485 has been pending for at least 180 days before changing employers.
    • Any job change before this period may jeopardize your green card application.
  2. Occupational Classification
    • The new job must closely match the job described in the original I-140 petition.
    • Significant changes in job duties, title, or SOC code may lead to denial of the green card application.
  3. New Employer's Role
    • The new employer must be willing to provide necessary documentation and support for the I-485 Supplement J filing.
    • Maintain open communication with the new employer regarding the requirements and implications of the adjustment portability process.
  4. USCIS Adjudication
    • USCIS will review the new job offer and may request additional evidence to determine if the new job is indeed in the same or similar occupational classification.
    • Be prepared for possible Requests for Evidence (RFEs) and respond promptly with detailed and accurate information.
  5. Legal Advice
    • Consulting with an immigration attorney is highly recommended to navigate the complexities of AC 21 106(c) and ensure compliance with USCIS requirements.
    • An attorney can assist in preparing and submitting the necessary forms and documentation, as well as addressing any RFEs.


AC 21 Section 106(c) provides a valuable option for foreign nationals to change employers without losing their place in the green card process. By understanding the eligibility requirements, preparing the necessary documentation, and consulting with legal experts, you can effectively use adjustment portability to advance your career while continuing your path to permanent residency in the United States.

We hope you find this information valuable. If you have any questions or require legal assistance related to any of these updates, please don't hesitate to contact us. We are here to help.


Keshab Raj Seadie, Esq.
Law Offices of Keshab Raj Seadie, P.C.

Disclaimer: This newsletter is intended for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Always consult an attorney for personalized advice.

About the Author


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Contact Us Today

We serve clients throughout the United States including New York and New Jersey and in the following localities: New York City; Albany County including Albany; Dutchess County including Poughkeepsie; Erie County including Buffalo; Monroe County including Rochester; Nassau County including Mineola; Onondaga County including Syracuse; Orange County including Goshen; Putnam County including Carmel; Rockland County including New City; Suffolk County including Riverhead; Ulster County including Kingston; Westchester County including White Plains; Bergen County including Hackensack; Essex County including Newark; Hudson County including Jersey City; Middlesex County including New Brunswick; and Union County including Elizabeth. Attorney Advertising.