We have over 20 years experience & have successfully processed more than 50,000 business & family visas CONTACT US NOW FOR A FREE CASE EVALUATION

New Employment and an H-1B Visa

By Keshab Raj Seadie | June 29, 2016

us visa An H-1B Visa enables you to work legally in the United States. A common question people ask is how soon they can work after they receive this visa. Also there are questions about changing employment while the visa is being processed. It is important to follow all the regulations of the visa and to begin work only when all of the certifications are received and confirmed.

When your H-1B is filed, this begins the process that will enable you to work. However it isn’t until the USCIS issues the receipt to the new employer that you can actually begin working. There may be a significant amount of time between the receipt of the H-IB Visa at the USCIS and the time the information is given to the new employer. Your prospective employer needs to fill out and LCA or a Labor Condition A application form and send it in to the proper authorities. This can take a week or two to process. When all of these documents have been received by the appropriate parties, then employment can begin.

The total time for the visa application, the receipt by the USCIS and paperwork with the new employer can take from 2 to 6 months. This can be further complicated if there is a change of employer, because the new employer needs to fill out appropriate paperwork. If you would like the service to be expedited, you can pay to have it done more quickly. This is worthwhile if you feel you need to start working immediately in order to make money. It is a good idea to apply for your H-1B Visa in advance of the time you think you need it, and to be prepared for certain amount of waiting time before you can proceed. Check frequently to ensure the paperwork is been received by the right parties, and make sure that all of the information is given and is written clearly. This will prevent delays and inefficiencies in the process.

To learn more about the process contact our team at The Law Offices of Keshab Raj Seadie, P.C. by calling or filling out our online form.