We have over 20 years experience & have successfully processed more than 50,000 business & family visas CONTACT US NOW FOR A FREE CASE EVALUATION

Working Visa Basics: What You Need to Know

By Keshab Raj Seadie | March 24, 2016

H-1B Lawyer in NYC

work visa At The Law Offices of Keshab Raj Seadie, P.C. we’re here to provide as much information as possible to help you obtain your Working Visa. Here are the basics about United States Working Visas to get you started on the process. The more information you have, the better able you will be to fulfill the requirements.

Application Approval

Approval of your application will depend, in part, on which type of work visa you are seeking. There are primarily two types of work visas: for temporary (nonimmigrant workers); for permanent (immigrant) workers. Within each of those two categories of working visas, however, are sub-classifications. In general, you will need to have an employer in the United States who submits the necessary documentation, before your application is processed, stating that you will be employed by that company when you arrive in the United States.

Temporary Work Visas

Temporary workers are people who will not stay in the United States permanently. The specific length of time is dependent on the type of visa, as described above, and will be designated on the I-94 record upon your arrival in the United States. In some cases, there are limits to the maximum length of time allowed for you to stay, including any extensions. The application fee varies, from $160 to $190 (non-refundable), though some additional fees may be required.

Permanent Work Visas

Permanent workers are people who will be allowed to stay in the United States, permanently. The degree of education and specialization of work these people will perform in the United States are, typically, at a higher level. For instance, advanced degrees and exceptional ability in specific industries are the determining factors. The application fee is $345 (non-refundable) for the employment-based visa.

Working visas, both temporary and permanent, are processed and granted through the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you live. With this information, you can begin the process of applying for a United States worker visa. If you have more questions about permanent and temporary worker visas, call us today or submit your question online.