1. Can I renew my L-2 employment authorization before my L-1 spouse files for an extension?

You have the option to apply for an extension of your L-2 EAD, but if approved, it will only be granted until the current expiration date of your spouse's L-1 status. If your spouse needs to file for an extension soon, it may not be worthwhile to pursue this.

  1. Can my employer sponsor me for a green card while I'm working on an L-2 EAD? Will I be allowed to extend my stay similar to H-1B workers?

While your employer can initiate the green card process while you're working on an L-2 EAD, having a pending I-140 is not a basis for extending your L status. The duration of your L-2 status is tied to the primary L-1 beneficiary's status.

  1. I'm currently working on my L-2 EAD, but my spouse is changing to H-1B. How do I continue to work in this situation?

Once your spouse changes to H-1B status, you will no longer have L-2 status. You should file for a change to another valid nonimmigrant status, most likely H-4, and you can apply for employment authorization in H-4 for the time being.

  1. Can I start a business with my L-2 EAD?

Yes, the L-2 EAD allows for virtually unrestricted employment, including self-employment or running your own business.

  1. Can I continue working on my L-2 EAD after October 1st if my H-1B petition is approved?

If your H-1B petition was approved with a change of status, you cannot continue working on the L-2 EAD once you are no longer in L-2 status. However, if your H-1B was approved for consular processing, you can continue working on your existing employment authorization until you take the necessary steps to travel outside the U.S. and re-enter on H-1B status. If you did not file for a change of status, it may be beneficial to continue working on your L-2 EAD as close to your H-1B start date as possible, as that time will not count towards your H-1B duration.

Contact Us Today

We serve clients throughout the United States including New York and New Jersey and in the following localities: New York City; Albany County including Albany; Dutchess County including Poughkeepsie; Erie County including Buffalo; Monroe County including Rochester; Nassau County including Mineola; Onondaga County including Syracuse; Orange County including Goshen; Putnam County including Carmel; Rockland County including New City; Suffolk County including Riverhead; Ulster County including Kingston; Westchester County including White Plains; Bergen County including Hackensack; Essex County including Newark; Hudson County including Jersey City; Middlesex County including New Brunswick; and Union County including Elizabeth. Attorney Advertising.