Visitor Visas (B Visas)

The B visa category is designed for foreign citizens who wish to visit the U.S. temporary either for business or pleasure. The two categories of B visa are B-1 and B-2.

B-1 visas are for foreign citizens who want to visit the U.S. for business purposes. These reasons can include consulting with business associates, attending a professional convention or conference, settling an estate, or negotiating a contract.

B-2 visas are for those visiting the U.S for tourism. These reasons can include vacation, visiting loved ones, medical treatment, activities of a social or service nature, and performing in athletic or music events with no remuneration. If you are accompanying a family member who is receiving medical treatment, you will also need a B-2 visa.

If you are traveling to the U.S. for both business and pleasure, you will be issued a B-1/B-2 visa.  

There are certain travel purposes not permitted on visitor visas, these include activities such as studying, employment, paid performances, permanent residence in the United States. *Please note that if you are traveling to the U.S. to study or work in any capacity as a journalist, crewmember, etc. you will need a different, appropriate visa. If you plan on taking more than 18 hours of class a week, even if they are not counting toward a degree, you must obtain a student visa. In addition, if you are attending a lecture, conference, or classes which will count toward a degree, you will need a student visa.

Required Documents

  • Passport valid for six months beyond period of stay in the United States
  • Recent digital photograph
  • Documentation of past five trips to the U.S., if applicable
  • Proof of funds to cover the cost of entire trip
  • Proof of ties to home country such as family, employment, or property


You may apply for a visitor visa at any US consulate or embassy, though it is recommended that you apply at the one with jurisdiction over your place of permanent residence because it may be harder to qualify for the visa outside of your country of permanent residence. The consular officer at the embassy or consulate will determine whether you qualify for the visa.

While there are no petitions to file with the USCIS to enter the US as a visitor, the burden of proof falls on you to show to your consular officer that your visit to the US is temporary in nature.

The presumption in the law is that every visitor visa applicant is intending to immigrate. Therefore, applicants for visitor visas must overcome this assumption by demonstrating that:

  • The purpose of their trip is to enter the US for business, pleasure, or medical treatment;
  • They plan to remain for a specific, limited period of time;
  • They have funds to cover expenses in the United States;
  • They have compelling social and economic ties abroad; and
  • They have a residence outside the US as well as other binding ties that will insure their return abroad at the end of the visit.

In addition to all of the documentation requirements explained above, the following documentation is also required for persons seeking medical treatment in the US:

  • Medical diagnosis from a local physician, explaining the nature of the ailment and the reason the applicant requires treatment in the United States.
  • Letter from a physician or medical facility in the United States expressing a willingness to treat the specific ailment and detailing the projected length and cost of treatment (including doctors' fees, hospitalization fees, and all medical-related expenses).
  • Statement of financial responsibility from the individuals or an organization that will pay for the patient's transportation, medical, and living expenses. The individuals guaranteeing payment of these expenses must provide proof of ability to do so, often in the form of bank or other statements of income/savings or certified copies of income tax returns.

Persons traveling to the US for medical treatment should have a statement from a doctor or institution concerning proposed medical treatment.

Contact Us Today

We serve clients throughout the United States including New York and New Jersey and in the following localities: New York City; Albany County including Albany; Dutchess County including Poughkeepsie; Erie County including Buffalo; Monroe County including Rochester; Nassau County including Mineola; Onondaga County including Syracuse; Orange County including Goshen; Putnam County including Carmel; Rockland County including New City; Suffolk County including Riverhead; Ulster County including Kingston; Westchester County including White Plains; Bergen County including Hackensack; Essex County including Newark; Hudson County including Jersey City; Middlesex County including New Brunswick; and Union County including Elizabeth. Attorney Advertising.